Solar HYBRID Grid - Learn how Solar HYBRID Grid is setup and works
Solar HYBRID Grid helps to manage the demand for stable energy given rise to the hybrid grid. In Hybrid solar setup the solar panel produced DC power is converted into AC power, the excess power is stored in batteries. The hybrid system isolates the dependability on unreliable grid power and produce issueless solar power.
The hybrid system is widely used in most part of the world where the access to grid utility is unreliable.
The conventional inverters which are tied to solar power can only power DC to AC in line with the power generation in these solar arrays. The Hybrid solar inverters can store the excess power in batteries and draw them back when it is required for energy stabilization when the applications consume.
The build setup on these Solar Hybrid Grid inverters would vary in their sizes, efficiency and performance parameters.
It’s vital to evaluate the need for power and design the solution based for the specific need. A common requirement is usually these Hybrid solar inverters remain connected to the utility supplied AC mains and use the mix of wall socket AC and solar produced DC to AC to meet the power demand, on sunlight’s availability etc.
Solar HYBRID Grid power setup is not just for a new solar build, however it brings in the flexibility to make use of the existing inverter to turn into Hybrid by adding a Hybrid solar charge controller which takes care in prioritizing the source of power to utilize to generate (solar) / supply through (wall power) to the output load.
This would bring the cost down significantly where most of the capital in setup is consumed on (a) solar panels (b) batteries and (c) an inverter.
The Hybrid charge controller also includes few of the circuit checks where any wrong circuit connections are highlighted by the logical gates included in the controller through lighting appropriate LEDs.
A typical Hybrid system looks similar to the one shown below.
Some of the factors one must consider selecting the appropriate components to build the Solar HYBRID Grid Inverter are as follows.
- Peak load power requirement in watts
- 12V or 24V or 48V inverter system
- Charge controller current (Amp) operating capability (10/20/30/40A)
- Appropriate thickness of wire depending on the current (Amp) carrying capacity
- Blocking diodes (if not supplied by solar panel manufacturers)
- Operating hours (dependability on the sun light), equator locations have maximum sunlight availability but for 12 hrs, North Polar Regions and above equator locations enjoy uninterrupted sunlight 14 to 20 hrs however with minimal radiance from sun due to seasons.
- Appropriate azimuth values should be identified to tilt angle solar panel for each location on planet earth
In some of the areas where WIND is available abundant the Solar system setup is coupled with Wind energy in addition with the local utility grid power there by increasing the capacity to produce higher power wattage. The system thus called the real Hybrid Inverter which utilizes the Wind Power and Solar Power.